Skip to main content

I get pissed off by a tweet


This is by no means the worst thing I've read about autism:
Nevertheless, it struck a nerve, and pushed me over the line from 'maybe I should write a blog' to 'yep, definitely need to start writing a blog'.

Over the past year, I've found myself increasingly assertive in opposing misconceptions and lies about autism wherever I find them. At the heart of these, so often, is the idea of autism as a disease - one you can catch, one you can perhaps cure. When this rears its head, you'll often find scientifically-literate folk fighting back - and I'm glad they do, it's important work. However, there's a personal perspective that I always want to add, something very simple yet so often overlooked:

I am not a disease.

Look at that tweet. It's not shouty and crazy, it's not full of woo. In a very level and apparently considered (if scientifically nonsensical) manner, it presents autism as a dreadful condition that one can catch from a particular diet. Moreover, autism is a terrible thing, although SIDS is even worse: if we rank terrible things that can happen to a child, death is at the top, but autism is just behind.

I am not a tragic mistake.

I was born autistic, I will die autistic. I am autistic, just as I'm tall, blue-eyed, balding, tending towards overweightness. I didn't develop some horrible condition from drinking milk or being vaccinated or standing outside under a waxing gibbous moon whilst the owl cried thrice. I'm just like you, dear reader, except that my brain doesn't work in the way that society expects brains to work (yet it nonetheless works well, in its own way).

I am not to be feared. 

Autism is not some horrendous nightmare. It is not the bogeyman with which you should seek to scare parents away from whatever it is you've set your mind against. If you are ever inclined to say something about causes or cures of autism, please, remember: you are talking about human beings, with feelings (also, frankly, don't say whatever you were going to say, not without peer-reviewed evidence). If autism is the bogeyman, I am the bogeyman, we autistic folk are all the bogeyman. We are demonised, we are less than human.

This is not a road that any of us should be walking down. It ends in a very bad place.

I'll finish with a couple more tweets. First, my reply to the above:

And finally, a very wise response by James Wong (follow him, he's great, I plan to make one of his indoor ponds) on the subject of 'causes' of autism:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mask (but not the awful sequel)

This month, there is a #TakeTheMaskOff social media campaign, about the role of masking in autistic lives (and the harm it can cause), so I thought I'd write a quick post about my own personal experience. A quick definition, in case anyone needs: masking, or camouflaging, is affecting learned social behaviours in order to not appear autistic. Its importance as a social and medical issue has been significantly raised recently, following an extensive and thorough study by Sarah Cassidy, Louise Bradley, Rebecca Shaw and Simon Baron-Cohen that assessed risk factors leading to suicide amongst autistic adults ( https://molecularautism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13229-018-0226-4 ). As I've said in previous posts, I was diagnosed aged 36. Like, I'm sure, many other late-diagnosed autistic adults, the diagnosis didn't come as a shock, didn't sneak up out of the blue after decades of thinking I was 'normal'. I had never been terribly good at fitting in, w

I've not been able to write much lately

Hello. I know I've not added anything to this blog in a while. It's not been by choice. My brain has, for want of a better term, collapsed. The best I can do is to get out of bed at some point during the day, to eat, to breathe, to hydrate. Work - and some other daily life stresses, including my parents' health, but primarily work - has completely overwhelmed me. I can't do it any more; for one thing, there's been far too much of it, I've been covering three jobs for six months now, but there's also the strain of being in a work environment, the sensory overload, the masking, the unpredictability. What has been exhausting before has now become highly debilitating. My life has just... well, it's broken. I can't do anything. That, in itself, is saddening (I love to walk and to cook, and these have been taken from me of late), and being all sad and woe-is-me about that just serves to pile on to the underlying problem. Underlying problem being: autist