Skip to main content

A brief note on terminology

The language of autism, or rather, of describing autism and autistic people can be vague and shifting. After all, both the science and the community are developing. And I don't claim this to be anything other than my view; nevertheless, sometimes words are used which bother me a bit, and I'd like to address that.

Asperger's Syndrome: was a diagnosis first introduced in 1944, and removed from widespread medical usage in 2013. As with many obsolete medical terms, increased understanding meant that its definition was no longer felt to be accurate. However, many people diagnosed with Asperger's during those seven decades are still very happy to identify with it (or the colloquial Aspie), and I'd not criticise that. That said, if you don't personally identify as having Asperger's, or you're not talking to/about someone who you know does identify that way, then it's best to avoid the term.

Autistic Spectrum Disorder: is the medically accepted term. It's more inclusive, based upon the idea that autism is a spectrum of symptoms, rather than a narrow definition. The best word to use to describe autistic people is, surprisingly, autistic. I've noticed that Autie is becoming increasingly common within the community, and that seems fine to me.

Anti-vaccination campaigns: are pseudoscientific bullshit based on a fraudulent 'study' by a former doctor for personal gain. But even if they had any truth to them (they don't), they're still dehumanising autistic people. How would you like to be called a disease, an injury, the product of some big conspiracy? It has disturbing echoes of the Nazi campaign against mental illness. And that ended in state-sanctioned murder. Don't dehumanise anyone, folks.

Disease/Disorder: okay, the official name includes the word disorder, but medical usage of that word and common usage of that word are not the same. Unless you're discussing it in a strictly medical sense, and you understand that medical sense, then best give it a miss. And certainly don't use the word disease. Autism is not a disease, and it's not what is commonly meant by the word disorder. It's just a difference, that's all. Again, this goes back to not dehumanising people.

Cure: seriously, if you so much as whisper the word cure in relation to autism, I will hunt you down and I will kill you. It is utterly vile. And yes, there are people out there proposing 'cures' for autism - many of which are downright abusive, some of which are potentially fatal. It is not a disease, so there's no reason to use the word 'cure'. Autistic people are not wrong, bad, evil, a mistake. The world isn't well-suited to providing a place for us, and it makes sense to both fight that and to help autistic people live more easily in the world. But that latter is a matter of learning skills, not of 'cures'. Don't dehumanise anyone, folks.



Allistic: someone who is not autistic.



I may add to this if other thoughts come to mind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mask (but not the awful sequel)

This month, there is a #TakeTheMaskOff social media campaign, about the role of masking in autistic lives (and the harm it can cause), so I thought I'd write a quick post about my own personal experience. A quick definition, in case anyone needs: masking, or camouflaging, is affecting learned social behaviours in order to not appear autistic. Its importance as a social and medical issue has been significantly raised recently, following an extensive and thorough study by Sarah Cassidy, Louise Bradley, Rebecca Shaw and Simon Baron-Cohen that assessed risk factors leading to suicide amongst autistic adults ( https://molecularautism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13229-018-0226-4 ). As I've said in previous posts, I was diagnosed aged 36. Like, I'm sure, many other late-diagnosed autistic adults, the diagnosis didn't come as a shock, didn't sneak up out of the blue after decades of thinking I was 'normal'. I had never been terribly good at fitting in, w

I get pissed off by a tweet

This is by no means the worst thing I've read about autism: Nevertheless, it struck a nerve, and pushed me over the line from 'maybe I should write a blog' to 'yep, definitely need to start writing a blog'. Over the past year, I've found myself increasingly assertive in opposing misconceptions and lies about autism wherever I find them. At the heart of these, so often, is the idea of autism as a disease - one you can catch, one you can perhaps cure. When this rears its head, you'll often find scientifically-literate folk fighting back - and I'm glad they do, it's important work. However, there's a personal perspective that I always want to add, something very simple yet so often overlooked: I am not a disease. Look at that tweet. It's not shouty and crazy, it's not full of woo. In a very level and apparently considered (if scientifically nonsensical) manner, it presents autism as a dreadful condition that one can catch from a p

Voices

Right then. Forgive me if this gets a bit ranty. I've been annoyed today. I started a post a little while back with someone having blocked me on twitter, an antivaxxer. To be honest, this whole business is rather new to me. I've been blocked by the odd Nazi before, and I take no little pride in having been blocked by a major anti-EU campaign (leave.eu, who are currently, the poor dears, being shown to be massively corrupt cynical far right cheats). Anyway, today I was blocked by somebody who wasn't a) an antivaxxer, b) a Nazi, or c) a cackling white-cat-stroking Bond villain. Someone who posted this: (I haven't redacted @PEAT_NI, in case anyone's wondering, because it's a campaign group and not an individual.) Why was I blocked by this apparently kind, helpful person? For reasons which, I'm now finding out, are depressingly common amongst the autistic community. I used my voice. I specifically said that autistic adults should be listened to when we